The driving responsibilities include a route in the morning or afternoon to transport students to and from the facility.
This position contributes to Saavi Services for the Blind mission to cultivate growth and opportunity for blind people through nonvisual skills training; gaining the knowledge that all challenges have solutions, and fostering self-efficacy, empowerment, and confidence. This means that all hold a positive philosophy of blindness, and all contribute to the success for each student.
Reports to: Facilities Manager
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Picks up or drops off students per schedule.
- Delivery of equipment and other materials to students.
- Transport staff to and from various obligations, including: rural lessons, outreach events, Saavi’s other training center, and more.
- Drives students/staff during center hours as needed.
- Follows all vehicle cleaning requirements per Saavi protocol which includes cleaning the vehicles each time they are used.
- Maintains inventory of cleaning supplies and paper goods/supplies for cleaning requirements.
- Maintains clean restrooms.
- Makes minor repairs to facility as needed. Informs management of items needing attention
- Keeps the buildings clean and does regular cleaning per CDC requirements
- Empty Trash Receptacles
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, scrubs, waxes, and polishes floors as needed.
- Clean and dust walls, ceilings, countertops, millwork, doors, windows, etc.
- Polish light fixtures and replace lightbulbs.
- Perform minor maintenance to HVAC systems including replacing filters and cleaning units.
- Perform minor maintenance to plumbing and plumbing systems including regular cleaning (auger) main waste line between building(s) & street.
- Moves cabinets, boxes, furniture, crates, and equipment to clean areas. May remove stains from such surfaces as rugs, drapes, walls, and floors using chemical and cleaning solutions.
- Assemble and/or repair Office furniture, furnishing, etc.
- Paint over graffiti as necessary.
- Sweep walkways, rake leaves, cut grass, remove weeds, prune trees and maintain irrigations systems and follows all Saavi maintenance protocol.
- Assist with moving clients and staff into and out of Saavi Residential Facilities (Apartments).
- Work collaboratively in a team to support student and agency success.
- Reinforce proper cane technique and other nonvisual skills during all activities.
- Serve as a role model for students in the use of nonvisual techniques and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate respect and inclusion for all,
- Adhere to all timelines or develop reasonable alternate plans for accomplishing job tasks.
- Support student learning through incorporating braille, technology, cane travel and ILS, in all settings throughout all Saavi activities and practices.
- Ensure learning shade and cane is always used while taking part in Saavi Services for the Blind and other appropriate activities.
- Positively represent Saavi in professional development and special functions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
- High School diploma
- Minimum one-year previous experience in maintenance position,
- Must have clean driving record and previous experience operating a passenger van.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive philosophy of blindness and a history of inclusive practices.
- Excellent verbal communication and the ability to demonstrate emotional intelligence,
- Experience advocating for individuals and encouraging self-advocacy.
- Strong negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Ability to communicate, promote and work within a team environment.
- Ability to initiate and complete job duties with strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Non-visual instruct.
- Able to positively represent Saavi Services for the Blind at professional development and special functions as needed.
- Good organizational skills
Conditions of Employment:
- May have to work some evenings or weekends as needed.
- Must demonstrate a positive philosophy of blindness.
- Must complete internal blindness immersion training.
- Ability to pass a Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) background check.
- Ability to obtain an approved DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card (provided by SAAVI)
- Must have a clean driving record and an Arizona Driver’s License. Must provide DMV report showing clean driving record for the last five years prior to employment.
Get our newsletter.
Sign up today!